Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Storming into Sobriety -- Day One

I thought I'd use this opportunity (and by opportunity, I mean free webspace and the excessive amount of free time afforded to me by my new job) to chronicle my pledge of sobriety for the month of the March, anno Domini 2005. I should first lay down my intentions for embarking on such a fool's errand, and then establish the groundrules.

My Intention: see how the "other half" lives. A few prominent friends of mine live on that dangerous path of absolute sobriety; one that does not allow for even the slightest deviation into the Shangri-La of drugs and alcohol. I'm actually quite sick and tired of trying to moderate myself "a little bit." That kind of restriction can only be maintained when your inhibitions and higher brains functions are operating without interferance. That is to say, these prohibitions are impossible to follow when you're fucked up.

In all honesty, I'm fairly certain that I'll be able to survive said restrictions. I have acheived, by my standards, an insurmountable obstacle like this just recently. I became a vegetarian. Anyone who loves to eat and has made the switch could tell you that to even to begin requires enormous restraint. So, if going dry is anything like that (which it isn't) then I'll do just fine (or won't).

The Rules: plain and simple. To avoid liquid intoxicants and other, more prosecutable, reality-evaders. It's all or nothing: if I so much as accept one mixed drink or harmless toke, I'm off the team. Mind you, this is totally self-initiated, so if I cheat, I (and my conscience) are the only ones that are accountable. The experiment ends on midnight of Thursday, March 31st.

As I begin this bold leap (or maybe foppish tumble) into the relatively known, I invite any visitors and confidants to post comments at any time.

And with that, thus begins day one...

7 Comments:

At 10:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

comments! keen!

 
At 1:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so... you're the designated driver?

 
At 2:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If this is to be, not not to be, then I'll see you at the end with a bulbous joint and some wine spo-dee o-dee.

 
At 5:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never been so upset that one of my friends did something healthy...happy birthday to me

 
At 10:34 PM, Anonymous brendan said...

Casey, if you cheat the BIG OTHER will know!

 
At 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In old country we have old saying: "Meaty bone- large dog."

 
At 4:28 PM, Anonymous eMerging blogger said...

Reality is more bizarre than any drunk high (or low)...but its not for the faint-hearted!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home